Me : hey , any place here that serves decent Italian fare.
Work Colleague :"cream center".
Me : "Cream center? doesnt sound Italian to me ?!!
WC: But the food there is great : its italian ..you'll love it!
and I was there.
Im no meanie. But I would not eat there for free!!
You got it right :
1) They have proper cloth napkins. For once in Chennai : I dont need Tissues that I would be using to wipe my posterior : on the table!
2) Cute Cruet sets! Decent bowls. Waiters with ties and helpful (enough).
You got it wrong :
1) Either I am the biggest nut job in the whole of Chennai : or this was a prank on me. The menu has one page dedicated to Italian. No Pizzas , no Zuppa, no Insalatas. only pasta! no gelatos/ no sorbettos. period. the other pages have mexican, chinese, phillipino, korean, jain(ian), iyer(ian), rajastanian.add your own from here on..
2) three pastas: self combinations not allowed! the guy serving me was throughly annoyed that I was "suggesting" combinations there . NO ONE DARE DOES THAT!!! they had a spaghetti, a penne and some farfalle! to go with arabiatta, some tomato based me-lee and then some more red goo!. HE VISIBLY JUMPED WHEN I ASKED HIM IF I COULD GET PESTO WITH CONCHIGLIATELLE COZ IT COULD HOLD THE SAUCE GOOD! I thought he would choke me to death.
3) Forget about non-veg. You will have to lay the egg!! this was a jain joint! with the next table ordering parathas and chat! HEYSUS CHRISTO! If you think "Little Italy" is funny coz they do vegetarian. you should come here.
4) Ordered Penne with Neapolitan. suffice to say it tasted like Sambar which was red in color.
5)Espresso ( and I checked the time) 35 mins .from order to when I received it. I dont think anyone ordered one ever.
6) Crowded and noisy with kids. terrible. there was a line so big : I thought I was in coach class on a plane hitting the loo : or waiting for an audience with the pope. (whichever sounds kind).
On the WC who recommended it : pretty looking thing! sadly she lacks taste. thought I would take her out.
After this : and her taste: "nice knowing you aunty". take care.